Friday, March 14, 2014

May I just say this…..


Thank you to everyone who has emailed me and left comments on my YouTube channel, concerning my videos. Some have stated in their comments and emails that they could never color like I do.  First off, I appreciate that. It's a compliment.  I understand that.  And I sincerely thank you.  No one ever gets tired of being complimented.  Ever! But, may I just say, please do not compare your work to anyone else's…..ever! Not even mine. To me, that's like comparing your first learning to drive to someone who has had 10+ or even 30+ years of experience. It just doesn't make sense to me. If you have watched any of my videos, you hear me say it over and over again, that art should be fun.  It's an expression of who you are and how you see things.  It should never be stressful or seem like work.  Have you ever actually looked up the definition of art? I bet most of you haven't.  Well, let me enlighten you.
It is defined as follows:
Art
  1. the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power.
I think it's pretty darn accurate.  Especially the part about emotional power. Don't you? When you create something that you are proud of, it gives you an I can conquer the world feeling. Creating something that you are proud of, is the whole meaning behind art.  Do you think Picasso thought about whether someone would like what he was painting when he created?  I'm going to go out on a limb here and say no.  He created what he FELT.  He was expressing himself. It's a simple as that.  And so should you.
I have told one of my design team members on many occasions, to color an image once, drink a couple of glasses of wine and then color it again.  Anyone who has ever had a couple of drinks in their life, know that when you are a little 'tipsy' or 'feeling good', you really are more relaxed.  You have an 'I don't care attitude'….to a certain extent. If you would have that 'I don't care attitude', I would almost guarantee you, that you would color that image in a totally different way. You wouldn't care what people think. My point is, color like you are the only one that is ever going to see it.  It will make a total difference. I promise you.
I, in NO WAY consider myself perfect, or as we used to say in the 80's. . .'think I am all that'. Anyone who knows me, knows that is not my style. I'm better than some, yes.  But, there are others that are better than me.  There is always going to be someone better than you. I can guarantee you that.  But, there is always room for improvement.  Always! Don't compare yourself to anyone. The most you should ever want to do, is to look at someone else's work that is better than yours, whether it be mine or another artist and strive for that. Strive. . .not compare! Don't ever tell yourself that you'll never be that good or think that your work isn't as good as someone else's.  Simply express yourself in your work and remember. . .it's ART!  Remember, the definition?  Read it again.  It's an expression of creative skill and imagination.  It produces beauty and powers you emotionally. It doesn't say anything in that definition about being praised for your work.  At least, not by anyone but yourself.
With all that said.  I have one piece of advice that has helped me, and perhaps it may help you as well.  If you are trying to better your work, color the same image more than once.  Don't just color it one time. Color and re-color the image, over and over again.  I do it myself.  ALL the time.  You get better with repetition. And using the same image really does help.  Try it. . . .I think you'll like it!

 So….what are your thoughts?  I'd love to hear them!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment